Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reading Myths

We've been reading more myths, and they are fascinating. One of the things that I was considering while reading these myths is how they sometimes share characteristics. For example, I posted the video of the opening of the Hogfather, which has a world that lies on the back of a turtle. This reminded me very much of the Iroquis creation myth, where the world is created on the back of a turtle floating in a sea. They are not the same myth, but share the idea of the world on the back of an animal, in this case a turtle. 

We were also assigned to read a myth about Pele and her sisters and I was really excited about that because, of course I'm Hawaiian, and also because Pele is such a popular figure in Hawaiian mythology. She was able to withstand the onslaught of Christian missionaries to the Hawaiian islands, even after the ancestral religion was abolished. Female Divine, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment